Saturday, April 10, 2010

Finding Normal

Time waits for no one thats a well known fact. My bout with acoustic neuroma has come and gone and I've paid a price for it that I'll carry with me for the rest of my life.
But, time and life go on and I don't want to get left behind.

Going on after surgery is proving to be quite a challenge. It seems that a lot of people forget that five months ago I had metal instruments moving around in my brain. I know everyone is busy with thier life, I am too, it's just one of those humbling experiences.

I've included some photo's in this update to show that I'm alright and back to living life to the fullest extent I can. My two year old granddaughter doesn't even know grandpa was down for a while and I give her credit for getting me up and moving around soon after surgery. She never lets me rest.


My wife and I recently went exploring in Anza Borrego. We hiked many miles during our two day adventure. This is the Carrizo overlook a beautiful place.
Here's another place in Anza Borrego, the wind caves.
Another overlook in AB.
My first tagged trout at the Lake Isabella fishing derby.
Physically
Balance-- I still feel a little wobbly, I don't think it will get much better but I do believe I will get used to things as time goes on. Hiking really helps.

Hearing-- This is a very tough one to get used to. I have always loved my music and have played guitar since I was a kid. Because sound is now one dimensional music does not sound as good and I just don't have the motivation to play as much. I also have a very sore elbow that makes it hard to play so I'm sure that is a contributing factor also. I still have difficulty sensing which direction sound is coming from. Another thing thats kind of related to hearing loss is my tinnitus, not just a constant ringing but there's popping and crickets that I occasionally hear.

Stamina is not quite what it used to be but from what I've read having to concentrate on your balance does work against your stamina. I just have to try a little harder.

Finding my new normal is something that I may do but I'm never going to give up trying, and it's just one more challenge in life that must be dealt with. I don't want to get left behind life is too short.


1 comment:

  1. Hey there, so great to read a post from ya! I like your theory on not wanting to be left behind :) I AM SO glad that is sounds like things are going the right way for you and praying that is continues and gets better!
    That SSD thing, along with tinnitus....drives me crazy at times. I'm still fighting for a BAHA. My kids & hubby have a hard time with it too.

    As for me, I'm now back at a point of figuring out why I was having such severe neck & bain pain post surgery. I was doing good for awhie, then something happened and I had serious pain, etc. I will be seeing 2 different neurosurgeons within this next week and hope to get more answers. Once I get some of the answers, etc. I will post something on my blog.

    I love the pictures you guys put on here too! Looks so relaxing and nice! Michigan has given us a good, early spring this year and that is nice. Now hopefully we have a good warm summer. We put up a big pool last year and it seemed like the coldest summer ever.

    Well, keep heading forward and keeping up! Life is too short. Once again though, glad it sounds like it's going the right way!! :-)

    Denise Sanford (fellow ANer from MI)

    ReplyDelete